27 April 2006

Rejection!


I got an email from Glimmertrain this evening --- my short story didn't win (this time!) but reading it "was a pleasure" and they "look forward to reading more of my fiction". Now that the hurdle of submitting my first story and receiving my first rejection is over, I'm ready to devote more time and effort to fiction writing. The story I submitted had some merit (the opening paragraph was quite lovely, if I do say so myself) but altogether was definitely an also ran. It sort of fizzled at the end. I think I can do better, and I do enjoy making up stories even if I don't so much enjoy actually recording them. But Glimmertrain was not alone in rejecting my creative efforts tonight! The male minions were diplomatic, but they very clearly did not like my chicken fricassee. This was a new recipe and, incidentally, one that Wren and I quite liked, so theboys'll have to have it again whether they like it or not. How anyone could fail to appreciate chicken thighs sauteed in butter and olive oil, then poached in broth and white wine until falling-off-the-bone-tender, then finished with light cream, lemon juice, thyme, and parsley is beyond me but I felt a little morose after dinner tonight. Happily, the children were especially charming as they got ready for bed, I have a small amount of chocolate, and the yarn for Wren's cardigan came today, and it is a pleasure to knit. I'll post a picture of my swatch tomorrow --- today's picture didn't come out very well.

dinner tonight: chicken fricassee served with egg noodles

1 Comments:

Blogger jackie said...

I got rejected from Glimmertrain too! Yay for rejected hot Bmore mamas!

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home